Sunday, May 20, 2012

Egg-cellent Addition & Subtraction Games Using Egg Cartons

I decided it was finally time to upgrade my math egg carton games. Just a little color, clipart, and cute names took these games from fab to FABULOUS.  What I love about these games is that they are so adaptable and easy to differentiate.  I make multiple versions of each game with different number ranges inside because- why not?  They are quick and cheap to make. And I like that all my learners feel included by doing the same games as their peers.

The first game I made was Alligator Egg Addition, and when it came to production, it was a learning experience to say the least.  I always use styrofoam egg cartons because that is what I normally have in my refrigerator.  But this time I had a paper fiber egg carton so that is what I used.  I started by cutting all the protruding pieces off the lid, which make the objects move around freely.  Once I finished I noticed that somehow there was a large tear on one side of the carton.   Then I taped the label on the top.  The tape didn't stick.  What a disaster!  This thing wouldn't last a week in a classroom.  Needless to say, stick to the styrofoam!!  I will say that I am glad I found this out so I could share my knowledge with everyone.

Steps:

  1. Cut off all protruding pieces from the lid.
  2. Use packing tape to close all holes
  3. Tape the label to the lid.
  4. Number the cups.
Egg Carton Addition and Subtraction Games


The final product (with recording papers)!
Egg Carton Addition Games and Subtraction Games



You can find 13 fun addition and subtraction games here
Egg Carton Addition Games and Subtraction Games


Egg Carton Addition Games and Subtraction Games Printable Labels

Rebecca


16 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I'm your newest follower :)

    Lindsey
    Lovin’ Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog & I am a new follower. This is adorable!! I look forward to reading more from you! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi rebecca - Just found you and am your newest follower. I love that center. I have been using it for years...just not with the cute graphics on it. LOL Are you on the countdown yet? I sure am. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in major love with your clip art! I am loving that alligator! =)

    I know your kiddos loved this! Cute, cute, cute!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete